Yes, I admit it *holds up hand* – I’m a long-time fan of the Disney classic animated films. I’ve loved them since I was a child, and still enjoy the stories, music, and characters held within the spectacular artwork. The animated films in latter years? Hmm, not so much. Perhaps I just prefer the hand drawings to the computer’s influence. Anyway, here are a few of my favourites.
- Beauty and the Beast (1991 – For me, this has everything – great characters, humour courtesy of the enchanted objects and the Beast’s initial attempt at porridge, amazing songs, and the lovely underlying message about beauty being in the eye of the beholder.)
- The Little Mermaid (1989 – Hands up who loves Sebastian? I adore that crab! This film really felt to me like a Disney return to form when it was originally released.)
- Snow White (1937 – Talk about an amazing debut! An animated film that could make the audience cry; who’d have thought?)
- Sleeping Beauty (1959 – I know this isn’t as well regarded as some, but I liked that the prince actually had a character (look at Cinderella’s prince), and that he and Rose didn’t know who the other was when they met in the forest.)
- The Lion King (1994 – Timon and Pumbaa, stunning visuals, and Tim Rice’s and Elton John’s song “Circle of Life” – what’s not to like?)
Does anyone else have any favourite animated films? Or prefer the computer generated films over the classic hand-drawn ones? Anyone else have “Beauty and the Beast” in their list of top 10 films ever?